Your candidate has a Confirmation Sponsor Form that is due to Ken White, the youth minister at OLMC, by November 20, 2016.
If you are a parishioner at OLMC, please fill out the Confirmation Sponsor Form here.
If you are NOT from OLMC, please fill out the form AND have the pastor of your church send a letter to OLMC (c/o Ken White, 100 Harpersville Road, Newport News, VA 23601), attesting that you are an active Catholic in good standing with the Church and meet the Church's requirements to be a sponsor. This letter is due no later than November 20, 2016.
2. Pray for your candidate and for yourself. As the candidate decides to be confirmed, he or she needs spiritual strength. Your prayers are important, but do not forget to pray for yourself also, that you can share why you value and practice your Catholic Faith. Attend Mass together, spend a day or a short time praying together, or even have the courage to go to Reconciliation together.
3. While Confirmation does not require service hours, consider working together on a service project at OLMC. Share with the candidate the importance of serving others. Look for opportunities to help those in need and make a day of it. Afterwards, reflect with the candidate about how they felt about the experience before and after. Encourage the candidate in reaching out to others in need.
4. Be intentional about ongoing mentorship. You were chosen by this candidate because they see in your a quality of faith they wish to emulate. We encourage you to schedule regular 'check-ins' with your candidate throughout their high school year. This can be done in person or on the phone. Also check out the '15 Tips for Sponsors' page on this website for more tips on how to connect with your candidate.
5. Attend the Confirmation Rehearsal (Thursday, April 27 at 8pm) and the Confirmation Liturgy (Friday, April 28 at 7pm). More information to follow.
7. Do not forget this newly Confirmed young Catholic. After Confirmation day, remember his/her birthday and the anniversary of the Confirmation day. Send a card or make a phone call. Continue to worship together, or from time to time, do some Christian service. Put those 'Gifts of the Spirit' into practice.
Again, thank you for saying "yes" to journeying with a candidate to the Sacrament of Confirmation. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact Ken White at the Parish Office at 757-595-0385 x106.